Modernize Your Local Government With Managed IT Services
Local governments generally lag behind the private sector in embracing new technologies. Yet digitization at the government level is arguably more important since the government serves every single citizen across a broad portfolio of services.
In 2012, the U.S. Department of State launched the Comprehensive Digital Government Strategy, an initiative urging state governments to deliver better digital services to their citizens. The digital strategy drives efficiency, cost reduction, transparency, speed, and innovation in government operations and public services. But a decade down the line and many local government processes are still handled through tedious, time-consuming, and erroneous paperwork.
Digitization challenges in local governments
These are four main challenges facing local government agencies in their quest for modernization:
- Human capital: Reports show that local governments are still struggling to recover from a 695,000-worker deficit caused by the pandemic. Many agencies have difficulty filling labor positions, particularly in highly specialized areas, partly because they can’t compete with the private sector in the current labor market.
- Funding: Technology is not cheap. Inadequate or delayed funding often stands in the way of modernization.
- Digital transformation: A Deloitte Insights study found that while most government agencies are keen on digitizing, many take the wrong digital transformation path by focusing on front-end services rather than the underlying processes and systems.
- Security: Cybercriminals do not spare government agencies. In fact, government digital infrastructures are prime targets for all kinds of attacks. Cybersecurity concerns can dampen digitization efforts, even in private organizations.
How can a managed IT services provider (MSP) help?
An MSP brings proactive IT support through fully managed and co-managed IT services. In a fully managed scenario, the MSP takes overall technical responsibilities, from helpdesk support and systems maintenance to IT planning.
On the other hand, co-managed IT augments the existing staff with extra hands and new skills, ideal for bridging technical labor and skills gaps. Partial IT support suits both long-term and short-term IT needs, for example, when needing additional experts to complete a one-off project or continuously support a vital IT operation (cybersecurity, systems upkeep, data management, etc.).
Many government institutions are understandably reluctant to partner with third-party service providers, especially on matters as sensitive as IT management. But working with an MSP would greatly benefit a local government agency and the people it serves. Teaming up with a managed IT provider is a seamless workaround for the digitization pinpoints we mentioned earlier. On the journey to modernize public services and local governments, managed IT helps through the following ways:
- Brings in industrial expertise and state-of-the-art IT tools
- Lowers labor costs and helps stabilize the IT budget
- Helps with cybersecurity and compliance
- Enhances business continuity and agility through flexible IT solutions and disaster recovery measures
- Puts digital transformation on the right track through strategic IT planning
- Reduces the risk of IT-related downtime by taking a proactive approach to IT maintenance
- Keeps government facilities up to date with modern tech solutions and innovations
- Frees up valuable employee time and resources
Digital transformation in the public sector is usually a long and arduous journey riddled with endless obstacles and pitfalls. But the rewards more than make up for the effort, money, and time that goes into digitization. Working with a managed IT partner is one of the ways you can make this journey less taxing and more fulfilling. An MSP facilitates digital transformation by guiding you on the right path while reducing cost, labor, and logistical constraints.
However, not just any MSP will do. You want a trusted technology partner who will walk with you every step of the way. And that’s what you’ll find in CTSI. We are a community-focused IT provider dedicated to fostering success through safe and efficient tech innovations. Contact us to learn more.